Collin Draker discusses his YouTube channel and the issues he has faced in the automotive industry. He also discusses the flat rate pay system, the lack of quality control in certifications, and the need for better training and compensation for technicians.
- The rise of Collin Draker's YouTube channel (00:00:12) Collin Draker discusses his YouTube channel and the various automotive-related content he creates.
- Collin's frustration with the automotive industry (00:01:45) Collin explains why he made a video expressing his dissatisfaction with the industry and the response it received.
- The issues with the flat rate pay system (00:03:47) Collin discusses the challenges and stress caused by the flat rate pay system in the automotive industry.
- Issues with flat rate system (00:07:32) Exploration of the negative impact of the flat rate system on technicians and the overall culture in the automotive industry.
- Lack of career progression in auto repair (00:11:09) Concerns about the lack of a clear career path and proper training for technicians in the auto repair industry.
- Certifications and Apprenticeships (00:13:18) Discussion on the value and flaws of trade school certifications and apprenticeships in the automotive industry.
- ASE Certification and its Limitations (00:14:47) Exploration of the voluntary nature of ASE certification and how it may not always be valued or required by shops.
- Lack of Integrity and Quantity over Quality (00:17:15) Concerns about the lack of integrity in the trade, prioritization of quantity over quality, and the impact on technicians' job security.
- The issue of paying technicians to attend training (00:21:03) Discussion on whether technicians are being paid to attend training and the importance of incentivizing them.
- The debate on training occurring during work or personal time (00:23:19) Exploration of whether training should be done during work hours or if it's reasonable to expect technicians to spend personal time on it.
- The perfect pay structure (00:28:30) Discussion on the ideal pay structure for mechanics, including the preference for a salary with a production bonus.
- Tool reimbursement program (00:30:23) Exploring the idea of a tool reimbursement program where the shop pays for the mechanic's tools, with considerations for ownership and care.
- Maximizing expendable income (00:34:27) Considering compensation packages that maximize employees' expendable income, including the potential benefits of a tool allowance.
- The cost of scan tools and programming (00:35:41) Discussion about the expenses of scan tools and programming in the automotive industry, including the challenges faced by independent shops.
- The importance of tool allowances (00:38:39) Exploration of the benefits of tool allowances provided by employers and how it can alleviate financial strain on technicians.
- Compensation for training apprentices (00:42:59) Consideration of the need for additional pay incentives for technicians who are asked to train and mentor apprentices, taking into account the impact on productivity and the shop's investment.
- The shop's investment (00:43:36) Discussion on whether the shop or the employees should invest in training new technicians.
- Technician taking a loss (00:44:28) Exploring the idea of the technician sacrificing productivity and taking a loss in order to help the business in the long run.
- Getting out of the automotive industry (00:47:10) The challenges and difficulties of trying to transition out of the automotive industry into a different field.
Thanks to our Partner, NAPA AUTOTECH napaautotech.com
Email Matt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE